Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I'm thinking of doing the Sicilian...

No, the Sicilian is not a ballroom routine - it's a chess opening. Anyway, I was terrible at ballroom dancing - the foxtrot, the merenge (see, I don't even know how to spell it!), and I may take it up again upon my retirement and there's nothing else to do on the cruise ship.

The Sicilian is this: 1.e4 c5 - which means, White's King Pawn advances two squares to e4, and Black advances his Queen's Bishop pawn two squares to c5. This ...c5 move is the primary characteristic of the Sicilian. - so I need to be Black, if I wish the Sicilian to be my weapon. The whole point of the Sicilian is to wage an asymmetrical battle for the centre: while White is trying to occupy (e4), Black is trying to exert immediate influence (c5 - controls d4). ...c5 is usually shored by by ...d6.

That's it for now - so you know the Sicilian, out of the starting gates at least! Next post I'll talk about the next few moves.

2 comments:

Craig said...

which sicilian?

Anonymous said...

Check it ou homes louisiana vinyl siding if your building homes go to Http://siding11.com/side.pl?y=helper. butt if you want to learn to install siding then..... What are you waiting for..